After several weeks of our pre-homeschool co-op, Kim and I started to notice the enthusiasm draining (in both, us and our kids) and an increase in stress levels. We realized that, as new homeschool teachers we've fallen into the assumption that we had to make this look like conventional preschool, robbing ourselves and the boys of the freedom, flexibility and creativity that homescooling offers. After a few-month hiatus, we agreed to trade in our rigid structure and focus on our very different boys' very different interests on our own with plans to get together for occasion projects and crafts.
We don't have a scheduled time that we focus on school right now. We just take the opportunities as they present themselves, whether we're preparing meals, playing with Ronin, running errands or sitting at a restaurant waiting for our food. Here are some of the things we've been incorporating in school lately:
READING & SPELLING
Since Reid's still very enthusiastic about reading and spelling, we've been focusing on those subjects on our own. We no longer wait for quiet, calm moments in the home. Very informal, slightly structured lessons usually take place at the kitchen counter with our trusty dry-erase board in the midst of preparing meals, brewing the morning's coffee and, well, life.
Although he thinks he's just playing the "build-a-word" game, Reid is going through a book Colby's mom passed down to us called, "Alpha-Phonics - A Primer for Beginning Reader" which uses the same style I was already using to teach Reid to read. He's learned blended letter sounds (such as, ck, sh, ch, th, tr, gl,
ss & qu), and can now read words like "truck," "thick," "quick," "chick," "shock" and "glass". Colby and I also like throwing in words like, "chump" and "thug," but then Reid always asks what it means after sounding it out, so we just answer with one of

Colby's friends' names (usually "Uncle" Craig).
With his reading skills developing so quickly, he's been reading some of the beginner books from the level 1 Animal Antics book set. They're awesome and so encouraging for Reid because they have a lot of word repetition. I recommend these to all of Reid's young friends who are on the road to learning to read.
He's also learned to reverse his new skills and tell you how simple three- and four-letter words are spelled.
ART
We haven't done any cool crafts in a while, but since we play so much with the white board, my little Picasso's been doodling some really sweet stuff that just melts my heart. In the first doodle below, he drew the guy on the left and I gave him an arm and hand, made the oval into a balloon and gave him a pal. I can't wait to see his first drawing of our family!
MATH
Reid and I printed and cut out our own flash cards and take turns going through them with each other. =) He's learned to count to 29, but usually skips 16.
WRITING
Reid's really into mazes now and always asks Colby and me to draw them for him. They've become a great exercise to help him learn to control his hand to write and draw. However, it usually takes me about five minutes to draw one up and him about five seconds to solve it and ask for another one!
Mister Smarty Pants can now trace his name well and is very close to writing it free-hand, although the letters are out of order and his "d" usually comes out like a "p".
STATES
We've taken a break from playing with Reid's wooden states puzzle, however he still remembers where a handful of states are.
SPANISH
Lilibeth, our housemate and friend whom we're hosting from Ecuador speaks Spanish to Reid here and there. He's picked up a lot of nouns (mostly food, like me!), colors, numbers and a few phrases.
SCIENCE
He's really interested in learning about planets and dinosaurs, so maybe I'll teach him the names of them for now.
CHARACTER
This subject trumps all others. We want our boys to grow into God-loving, others-centered, respectful, capable men, full of integrity. I'm on the lookout for ways in addition to teaching by example to include this in our homeschooling. I love this Character Qualities chart I found on the Duggars' family website. Have any other ideas, suggestions or tools? Send them my way, please!
It probably sounds like we're doing a ton, but we're actually only "doing school" for about 30 minutes a few mornings a week. Other than that I try to incorporate learning in everyday life. I'm constantly reminding myself to keep it light and fun as we navigate our way to a style that works for us for now.


Woot, woot!! Love this post! Is jammed packed with things I'll be checking out soon especially that character chart. L O V E IT!!!!!
ReplyDeleteReid and Lucy seem to be so similar in learning styles and eagerness for academics... Lucy skips #17 when counting and rearranges letters when writing her name. Lately, she writes her name but spreads the letters apart "hiding" them in different areas of the page so I can find them. Writing the letters next to each other in order is SO "boring"!! LOL!! I think I'm going to introduce cross word puzzles to see what she makes out of it.
Can't wait to see you guys!!
D.
p.s. Look in your mail for Mom of the Year AWARD you'll surely be getting for drawing your own mazes!!! :) You Rock!
That's so awesome!! I love hearing your updates. I think the direction you're taking homeschool is absolutely perfect. I was homeschooled for several years and as an adult had the opportunity to work with children in both public and private schools. I believe that the easiest thing to miss is allowing children to learn the way they learn. This is so hard sometimes, especially for people like me, who feel best when a list is checked off. Children learn so quickly and have so much fun doing it when they are enjoying life and developing the ability to communicate in a trusting environment where the pressure comes from their own drive and desire to understand something and not from a fear that a test is coming.
ReplyDeleteGood job Kristin!!!
It was so nice to see you and the boys briefly the other day. I do want to do a gold thing. I must say that I don't have too much, but I'd love to find out what it's worth. I'll e-mail you from work tomorrow.
Roshanah
Danaly, yeah, Lucy and Reid do seem to be on similar tracks. It'll be fun to have them do some school stuff together during our visit! Lucy can probably teach Reid some Spanish! Not to mention how to shoot a bow, lol!!!
ReplyDeleteRoshanah, it was fun bumping into you last week! Thanks for the homeschool encouragement! I'm a total check-lister too, so staying flexible and fun will take some creativity on my part. =)
ReplyDeleteSee you Friday!
Wow, that's really cool. I didn't know you were going to Homeschool your kids. I was Home-Schooled =)
ReplyDeleteSarah: Yep, we're doing the homeschool thing. I remember that you were homeschooled. That's why you're so awesome... and weird.
ReplyDeleteKristen I have known a lot of ladies who have become mothers, but you have always impressed me the most. You make your own baby food, vacume in pearls, can throw an amazing party within days and all the time stay cool.
ReplyDeleteMommy of the year award, goes to Kristien Waltenburg
Oh, Ryan, you flatter me. Wish you still lived here. My boys would love you.
ReplyDeleteAnd I don't really vacuum in pearls.
Great job taking that step back. I think that is THE HARDEST thing to do. I tried to overschedule and overcommit myself constantly when I started, and am finally finding slowing down a little easier!
ReplyDelete