Sunday, January 10, 2010

I Do Not Like Them, Reid-I-Am

With Ronin over baby food and a preschooler who can detect the odor of nutrition from a mile away, I was quick to pull out my Deceptively Delicious cookbook (a collection of kid-friendly recipes which camouflage nutritious fruit and vegetable purees into familiar dishes) to make use of the stock of fruit and veggie puree cubes in my freezer.  I've made the whole wheat peanut butter-banana muffins with carrot, apple sauce muffins with butternut squash, pita pizzas with a hidden layer of spinach, butternut squash quesadillas, and yam & ham grilled cheese sandwiches.  

I've also since made it a habit to mix in a yellow squash, yams or cauliflower whenever making macaroni and cheese or scrambled eggs.  I've continued to serve veggies on the side, but with less pressure to eat them, which has actually gotten him to eat certain ones a bit more willingly.  It's also helped to serve in courses, of course serving his visable veggies first, while the rest of his lunch is cooking.  Next on the list: chocolate cake with beets!

On a less stealthier note, Reid and I made Green Eggs & Ham together for the first time.  We read the book first, which Reid loved.  He seemed totally on board with the idea, however while we were cooking, he started with the, "I don't like green eggs and ham..."  I told him he sounded just like the guy in the book, having not even tried them, yet he insisted he didn't like them.  Once they were served and I was able to coax him into taking a bite, his face lit up as he exclaimed, "I DO like green eggs in ham!  I DO like them, Sam-I-Am!"  We've made them several times since then for breakfast, lunch and dinner at his request.

Any other tips on feeding our picky eaters?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails