Monday, September 21, 2009

Pre-Homeschool

Or is it "home-preschool"?  Whatever you want to call it, Reid is loving it.  My good friend, Kim and I partnered up a few weeks ago for the preschool phase of our boys' homeschooling since her son, Noah is about Reid's age.  We've developed a format to follow to ensure consistency as we alternate between each of our weeks (one week Kim teaches at her home and the next I will at mine).  The format includes songs, crafts, snacks, books and a bible story, all of which coordinate with the letter and number of the day.  Here are some of the boys' projects since we started a few weeks ago:

For their first class the letter of the day was, you guessed it, "A" and the number was "10".  Kim taught them how to make homemade applesauce as well as what an anchor is and its purpose, which Reid will tell you about if you ask him!
Singing songs:
Each class, the boys also practice writing their names within block-lettered print-outs we've made them.  For the letter "B" and number "11", I had the boys glue 11 buttons on their name pages...
...Learn about how baskets are weaved, practicing with construction paper, which proved too be a bit advanced for them, which is why they lost interest before we finished :) ...
...And make their own butter for their banana bread snack.

Today, for the letter "C" at Kim's they made handprint crabs...
...Learned about the cross, while constructing and decorating their own with popsicle sticks...
...And surprised me with a birthday card and cupcakes!
Because Kim and I are so excited and motivated by the potential we see in our boys, we are finding that we can easily become overambitious, so we're constantly reminding ourselves (and being reminded by our husbands) that they're THREE and to keep this fun for all of us.

3 comments:

  1. It looks like you are on the right track - making learning F-U-N!!! It is a good think you have a big house - you are going to have all sorts of keepsakes!! Enjoy these years - they go by so fast. Muy bueno senorita.
    Karen Muser

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are doing an awesome job! Wish I was there to partner up with you as well. I have the same overambitious problem. I gotta keep reminding myself that is all about her learning and not about me bragging about her (which I love to do) :)
    Love you guys!
    Danaly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!! Such a great idea to share teaching with a friend. I'm sure that makes it so much fun. The pics are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails