Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Cruise -Pt. 1: The Chef's Experience

For Colby's Grandma's 80th birthday Colby and I joined ten other family members on a three-day cruise to Ensenada.  I was enjoying myself far too much to remember to pick up my camera much, but I was sure to snap some shots of the dishes we were served at the exclusive seven-course Chef's Experience that "Mr. Gary" signed us up for on our last night in celebration of Grandma Jackie's birthday.  Well, I started eating a couple of the courses before remembering to take a picture, but hey, I'm pregnant!

The experience began with a private tour through the ship's gala where we were served hors d'oeuvres and champagne along the way.  We felt like royalty!  They even gave us a private lesson on how to make their popular melting chocolate cake.

Whenever we watch shows like Top Chef, Colby and I always wish we could try those fancy dishes that look like little pieces of art on over-sized plates to see if it's really all it's cracked up to be.  We felt like we got to do that this night and everything was off the charts!  Hors d'oeuvres included ahi tuna tartar, duck pot stickers, mini steak tacos, and avocado cheesecake.  Forgot to take a picture of the first course, which was beef carpaccio, but here's the fried calamari that followed:
Then Fire Roasted Tomato and Poblano Chili Bisque (so yummy!):
Then the Chopped Mediterranean Salad.  I was full by this point, but this salad was off the hook!
Fillet of Chilean Sea Bass:
Aged Fillet Mignon (I could barely move after this):
There was so much going on with this dessert that I don't remember really what it was, but it was delish!
Magic Leo helped distract us from the sensation that we were on the verge of puking from over-eating:
Grandma Jackie's surprise birthday cake from Chef Russell:

Jackie & all her daughters with Chef Russell:


They even surprised us at the end with a souvenir photo and Carnival Cruise recipe book.  What an indulgent, gluttonous, great time!  Thank you, Mister Gary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails