Saturday, February 20, 2010

"Why, You're the Best Friend a Cowgirl Could Have!"

Colby and I recently completed Dave Ramsey's thirteen-week Financial Peace University class and highly recommend it to anyone who uses money.  One of my favorite lessons from the class was learning how to teach my kids how to be good stewards of their money at an early age.  In addition to jobs Reid is expected to do to contribute to the family, such as cleaning up after himself, helping clear the table after dinner, etc., we began offering him commission based jobs worth a buck each.  He's been saving about three-four bucks a week on average in his trail mix container-turned-money jar.

Ever since meeting her at Disneyland, Jesse, the cowgirl from Toy Story has had a special place in Reid's heart.  So after several weeks of emptying the silverware basket, sorting cans from bottles, matching socks and taking out the wastebaskets, Reid was ecstatic to be taking his money jar to Toys R Us, knowing he wouldn't be leaving without his cowgirl.  


Colby tried his hardest to sway Reid that the toy he really wanted was Woody, but he wasn't budging.  I found it endearing, especially since she really is such a sweet toy with her old-fashioned pull-string and dozens of cute phrases.  Mostly, I loved seeing him reap the rewards of his patience and hard work.
 
 

After bringing her home, I helped Reid write his name on the bottom of her boot just like in the movie.

2 comments:

  1. I heard his teaching was very good. I wanted to get the series for our mommies and daddies. I first wanted to go through it myself. Glad to hear more good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Totally life-changing! Like I wrote, we recommend it to anybody who uses money. :) I think we have all the lessons on CD (not the DVD's, which make the lessons way more fun and interesting), but if you want to borrow to just check it out, you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails